About Our Post
Post 3446 History Page 1
Col. Elmore F.
Taggart VFW Post 3446 was chartered on February 9, 1936. Twenty two
(22) comrades took the new member obligation and became charter members of
the Post. The Post was named in honor of a local military hero.
The first Post Commander was Frank G. Moose, who served in that capacity
for one term. Since its inception, Post 3446 has had 40 Commanders, 19 of
them having served more than one term.
On October 21, 1949, the Col. Elmore F. Taggart VFW Ladies Auxiliary was
chartered with 34 charter members. The Ladies Auxiliary’s first president
was Edna Zieber.
Today the Post and Ladies Auxiliary work together to accomplish the
mission and programs established at the National level of the VFW. We are
grateful to be able to serve our community and our nation. Our service
itself honors the memory of our veterans who cannot be here because they
never returned from service on foreign soil.
Originally, the Post did not have a home of its own. Members gathered in
the basement of Jim Macrino’s home on Jefferson Street in Orrville. From
those humble beginnings, the Post grew in membership and became a positive
influence on the community.